DAS ZWERGGECKO-FORUM

Das Forum für alle Arten, die nicht nur klein sind, sondern oft auch noch zu kurz kommen
Aktuelle Zeit: 18.04.2024, 20:32

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Sphaerodactylus elegans - New
BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2009, 15:38 
Hello everyone,

I'm new to geckos, and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Donald. I live in south Florida, USA. I spent many years as a dart frog breeder. I currently have one juvi. S. elegans. It is housed in a sweater box for observation and quarantine. Please excuse the poor pictures. I didn't want to stress the gecko out, he's still fairly new.

Bild
Bild

And a phone call from a friend last night, told me I now have an adult S. elegans too. I just need to go pick it up, or have him ship it to me. With that in mind, I made this vivarium last night for the exoected adult. It measures 12"x12"x18". I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Bild
Bild

Thanks for looking,
~Donald

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Sphaerodactylus elegans - New
BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2009, 19:27 
Hey Donald, nice Terrarium. I think, it is one of those EXO-TERRA? Am I right? These types have quite large gaps between the brick left and right and the (closed) folding door, do they?! Maybe too large for the small crickets you have to feed the dwarf geckos?! I do not have any experience with this type of terrarium. For this reason, I would be grateful, if you can write down your future experience. If it works or not with that small feed?! :)

Regards, Ronny

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2009, 20:46 
Hey Ronny,

You are correct, this is an exo-terra. I have had plenty of experience with them, and again you are correct, the gaps are large. They are not only large enough for the feeder items to get out, but I'm fairly certain a neonate Sphaerodactylus could escape too. The easiest, and most affordable way I have found to seal these tanks is electrical tape. It blends right in with the frame work, and makes it fruit fly proof (I used to breed dart frogs in them). The way in which I modified the top, also creates a small gap, so I seal that too. I have not resealed this particular one yet, as it is still empty. I will however search for a photo of one that has the tape on it. With just a little patience, this method can produce a very clean cut, functional, and affordable solution.

Other methods I have heard of, but not practiced are: applications of silicone, and also weather stripping (many kinds...home, motorcycle, car window ect...)

Best regards,
~Donald

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2009, 21:31 
Hey Donald,

thx for your detailed response. And if you can keep and breed dart frogs in there, then it really works! :mrgreen:

Regards, Ronny

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde