DAS ZWERGGECKO-FORUM

Das Forum für alle Arten, die nicht nur klein sind, sondern oft auch noch zu kurz kommen
Aktuelle Zeit: 20.04.2024, 12:35

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 14.07.2008, 10:34 

Hi folks,

I found one egg of Gonatodes albogularis between the Pothos roots by chance in my terrarium approx 50 days ago. The egg was put into an incubation box that time, and I wonder if you would have some special recommendations/tips how to get the female to lay her eggs on one, in advance prepared, laying place. I have one wetter place with quite smooth surface (for easier registration of her activity) in my terrarium, but it seems that my female quite ignore it :-) . Some info concerning your container arrangement for newly hatched Gonatodes young would be also highly appreciated!

With best regards,
Radim

BeitragVerfasst: 14.07.2008, 16:38 

Ive tried to get mine to lay in the same spot, but it just doesnt work to well for me. Some of the people I talk to will keep the tank mostly sand then in the corner, have a planted pot with some soil around the base, and the gecko will sometimes lay there. Otherwise, I think they just lay where most comfortable. I keep the juvies just like the adults but in smaller containers.

BeitragVerfasst: 14.07.2008, 17:39 
I don't know whether Gonatodes females can be guided towards a certain laying spot. It might work when you put a piece of corkbark over the spot you would like te be preferred as spot. Mine mostly lay their eggs underneath a piece of corkbark or wood, or in openings in the cork backwall. Right know I'm talking about G. albogularis fuscus, G. vittatus and S. elegans. I'm not sure about the humidity playing a role in site selection, I don't know about that one.

BeitragVerfasst: 15.07.2008, 13:14 

Hi guys,

thank you very much for your inspiring comments. I like the idea to offer some pieces of cork bark/wood or rugged cork backwall to my G. albogularis female as egg-laying place. I think that such place could be really preferred, as also many of my Phelsuma females often repeatedly choose offered places they like (hollow bamboo sticks, Sansevieria growth apex) for their egg-laying. I incline to the opinion that also wetness of the substrate can play the certain role during their site choosing, too.

Naturally, everything can be also quite different as Phelsumas are not Gonatodes and nature is just nature :P . Nevertheless, I will make one trial with small cork bark hill – I will see, how my female will react.

I hope that I did not discourage you both with my “philosophic” comments, because as for me the change of information helps to every breeder much.

Regards,
Radim

BeitragVerfasst: 15.07.2008, 14:46 
Administrator

Hi Radim!
I offer the females a segment of Reynoutria japonica or Heracleum mantegazzianum. Just cut 2 holes in it, place it in one corner of the tank and the Gonatodes albogularis will lay the egg in there. But you have to be sure, that you don´t mist into the segment - they don´t like wet places to drop the eggs. If your terrarium is high, you can also use more than one segment and the female has the chance to choose a segment with the optimal incubation-temperatur.
Here´s a pic of a Reynoutria japonica segment with "entry-holes":
Dateianhang:
Eiablageröhre.JPG
Eiablageröhre.JPG [ 127.24 KiB | 11028-mal betrachtet ]

..and one pic in the tank:
Dateianhang:
Eiablageröhre in Terrarium.JPG
Eiablageröhre in Terrarium.JPG [ 137.2 KiB | 11027-mal betrachtet ]

You can find these plants nearly everywhere in europe. They are neophyts from other parts of the world and it´s helpful for the nature if you will cut them :lol:

Greetings
Dennis

PS: The idea comes from Sacha, i hope he won´t be angry that i posted it earlier :roll:

BeitragVerfasst: 16.07.2008, 12:45 

Hello Dennis,

I really appreciate your next suggestion concerning the potential egg-laying place for my G. albogularis female. It seems to be next very nice alternative place for the females to lay their eggs in. We’ll see.

And I also marvel at Sacha’s such simple and cheap solution - Reynoutria japonica (I call it “Japanese gift” :lol: ) grows just 100 meters from my house ant its older ligneous stems are ideal for working and are rough enough for gecko climbing. I also prefer their natural appearance, which goes well with my current terrarium setting. My female already has one hollow stem in her terrarium since yesterday.

In any case it would be much easier for me to search laid eggs under the cork barks or in prepared Reynoutria segment than to search them in the substrate.

With best regards,
Radim

BeitragVerfasst: 16.07.2008, 18:48 

Hi Radim!

It will work! ;) You'll see! In my tanks G.vittatus and G.alb.fuscus are laying their eggs only into these tubes... 8-)

Best regards!

PS: See you saturday ;o)

BeitragVerfasst: 17.07.2008, 09:10 

Hi Sacha,

I believe that your lignified herbal segments work very well as an egg-laying places. My phelsumas also prefer similar drilled bamboo sticks very often, however bamboo slippery external surface would be not suitable for Gonatodes. That’s why I gladly accept your idea with Reynoutria japonica - quite “elegant“ and cost-free solution.

I am looking forward to our first meeting in Dresden this Saturday :) !

With best regards,
Radim

BeitragVerfasst: 23.07.2008, 08:41 
Administrator

Hi Radim,
And that´s how it looks like, when you control the tubes :D
Dateianhang:
egg.JPG
egg.JPG [ 112.13 KiB | 11020-mal betrachtet ]

Greetings
Dennis

BeitragVerfasst: 23.07.2008, 13:43 

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your very nice close-up of freshly laid egg. Really nice view! I would wish to find something similar :roll: and so recommended specially adapted stems have been already installed in all my three Gonatodes terrariums. However, I must be patient as I have a complete breeding pair only in one of them currently. The remaining two ones are occupied by two very nice males for now :P .

Best regards,
Radim

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde