DAS ZWERGGECKO-FORUM

Das Forum für alle Arten, die nicht nur klein sind, sondern oft auch noch zu kurz kommen
Aktuelle Zeit: 15.05.2024, 13:10

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 18 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Dry leaves in terrariums.
BeitragVerfasst: 31.07.2008, 13:34 

Hi folks,

I have noticed that some Gonatodes breeders add a couple of dry leaves aground of their breeding terrariums. I can understand their decorative function and geckos can probably use them as a hiding place as well. Is there any other function of these dry leaves in terrarium :roll: ? Are dry leaves resistant enough to potential mold starting in higher humidity terrarium?

Regards,
Radim

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Dry leaves in terrariums.
BeitragVerfasst: 03.08.2008, 08:51 
Administrator

Hi Radim!
Mmh, nobody else is answering in this forum, so i have to do this ;)
You are right: the dry leaves are useful for decoration and as a hiding place for the Gonatodes. But the are several other advantages: I use to give some starting-cultures of tropical arthropods, like Trichorhina tomentosa and Collembola into the terrarium. They can hide between and eat the leaves as well as the excrements of the geckos. If a Gonatodes will find one of them, its a good snack (gecko-fast-food :lol: ). The leaves also help on keeping the humidity into the soil in order that it won´t dry out quickly and you don´t have to mist too often. The leaves of Fagus sylvatica, Quercus robur or Juglans regia won´t rot to fast, because they contain much humid acid.
Greetings
Dennis

BeitragVerfasst: 04.08.2008, 09:33 

Hi Dennis,

thank you very much for your information-full reply. Even if I do not practice arthropods cultures in my terrariums I am going to add a couple of tree leaves to all my Gonatodes terrariums soon. Mentioned grounds for this breeding decision are quite clear and all three recommended tree leaves are also easy available here.

With best regards,
Radim

BeitragVerfasst: 04.01.2009, 16:21 
Hello,
I know this thread is a little old now, but I thought I would say a couple of thoughts about it. As already mentioned, the leaves provide a breeding/living area for various micro fauna. I'm new to the dwarf geckos, so I'm not really sure what food sources are commonly cultured. Some examples would be: dwarf wood lice, small sow (pill) bugs, and my favorite- springtails.
In addition to these properties, dried leaves very much simulate the natural habitat of many of these geckos; not only making the animal feel more secure, but also making the vivarium look more naturalistic. Though, that is only my opinion. I plan on using seagrape leaves. I say plan, because all my geckos (all 2, lol) are still in quarantine for another week. Seagrape leaves withstand moisture very well, so they are slow to decompose. They are also found in many of the gecko species' home ranges. I also like them because I have many around where I live ;) Another species I used, was the magnolia tree.
I used to breed many dendrobates species, so I am familiar with keeping small animals, and vivariums.

~Donald

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2009, 10:04 

Hello Donald,

upon really valuable recommendation given me above from Dennis I have additionally disarranged small beech leaves (Fagus sylvatica) on original crushed coconut chips/soil in certain parts of all my Gonatodes terrariums. Finally, beech leaves were chosen as they are pretty mould resistant, quite small and so also suitable for relatively small Gonatodes terrariums.
Naturally, I let numerous woodlices out on this coconut substrate with beech leaves after to establish their colonies in every terrarium. It seems the woodlices like this prepared surrounding and they really start to reproduce :) .
Donald, what geckos you intend to breed?

Regards,
Radim

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2009, 15:24 
Radim,

I'm happy to hear the beech leaves are working out for you. I plan on breeding S. elegans first. And as soon as I can find some, I'll also be keeping S. notatus, and S. argus. I just need to find some time to locate and collect some. The ocellated gecko,S. argus, is very hard to find down in the keys. I'm also planning a survey with a very well noted herpetologist, on the exotic species currently residing in the FL Keys. We are making our #1 priority the yellow headed dwarf gecko, Gonatodes albogularis. They are thought to be extirpated from this area many years ago, but I have confidence! People went 26 years with out seeing any S. argus in the Keys, then they were found again in 2005!

~Donald

BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2009, 13:16 

Hi Donald,

thank you for specifying your breeding plans and especially your planed survey. It must be really very exciting to prepare such observations of exotic and for USA not aboriginal day geckos. I have read that all three mentioned day geckos (S. argus, S. elegans and G. albogularis) were introduced to the Florida Keys many years ago. Reportedly, S. argus and G. albogularis should be still findable in Florida area, even if both species are very uncommon there. However, I have no idea what is the current status of Sphaerodactylus elegans or are your two, in another thread, mentioned S. elegans also wild caught :o ? Please, inform me/us later about the results of your intended and without doubt very interesting surveys.

My last question is pointing to general protection of, for USA not native, geckos. Do to USA introduced day geckos enjoy some type of protection in your country?

Regards,
Radim

P.S. Your finished terrarium looks very good and your juvenile S. elegans is really nice, I like his stripped “rugby T-shirt”. My experience is that Gonatodes are not so much inclinable to escapes (due to their shyness) if I would compare them with small Phelsuma species I have. However, all crickets are well known travelers ;) so the cricket-tightness of the terrarium is really necessary unless you want to listen their midnight concerts later :D .

BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2009, 14:38 
Administrator

Hello Donald!
My last information was, that S. argus should be extirpated in Florida. Is there any article about the recovery? I would be greatly interested in it!
Greetings
Dennis

BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2009, 20:21 

Argus are out there in Florida, which is shown by a certain guy who occasionally will put some up for sale that he caught. Same with elegans, and notatus, a lot of them are WC...but also many are CB as well since they arent that challenging to breed.

BeitragVerfasst: 08.01.2009, 05:00 
Hello everyone. I must say, I have been visting a lot of gecko forums lately, and this is by far my favorite one (even if I can't read most of what's on here! :lol: )

Mike,
You are correct sir. They are all still here. There are a few people offering them for sale currently, though I would guess they are getting them from the same source. As you mentioned, I understand them to be easy to breed. I am only looking for a 1.2 trio of each species.

Dennis,
As Mike had mentioned, there are still S. argus in the lower Keys. Here's a neat little article about it:
http://www.caribjsci.org/april05/41_169-172.pdf It covers "refinding" S. argus, as well as some breeding Phelsuma down there.

Radim,
Yes, both of my S. elegans are wild caught. My best friend lives in Key West. The neonate was caught on his kitchen counter, and the adult was found while organizing his orchid house. He also finds them under his garbage cans, and in his office at work! They are still quite common in the lower Keys.
I will certainly keep you updated on the survey. Though I don't think it will be very exciting at first. Mostly a lot of searching, and coming up empty handed. Not like the day I had today! I went out with a friend and found 9 different species of snakes! Plus quite a number of other cool animals.
The only protection exotic animals recieve in Florida, is if they are living within a protected area, such as a national park, or wildlife management area. In these such areas, you can not take or harass any of the fauna (exception being, regularly hunted game...deer, boar, turkey, ect...). I have permits to collect and research many reptiles from a few of these areas.
Finally, thank you for the compliments on my vivarium and gecko! The vivarium is fruit fly proof now, so I am not worried about any kind of escapes ;) I think I might add just a few more leaves (of a smaller variety), underneath the seagrapes.

Hope all is well,
~Donald

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 18 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde