DAS ZWERGGECKO-FORUM

Das Forum für alle Arten, die nicht nur klein sind, sondern oft auch noch zu kurz kommen
Aktuelle Zeit: 03.05.2024, 06:25

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Weird Lygodactylus picturatus
BeitragVerfasst: 09.11.2008, 12:06 

Hello folks,

sorry for the English, but my German is very bad...

Yesterday I was in Prague at Viva Exotica terraristic event and I was very interested in a table with boxes with Lygodactylus picturatus. They were selling about 300 adults of L. picturatus, captured somewhere in Africa... Price was 8 Euro for one and they were in groups of 5 - 10 in very small boxes. I also recognized several kimhowellis there, but searching for mombasicus I saw an interesting, very pale and little Lygodactylus in one box. I also found one more of the same species and recognized that they are male and female. Both have tail regenerates and are parasited with mites, but seem to be in better condition than the other "picturatus" in the boxes. I payed 12 Euro for both, now I have them at home in terrarium. I am attaching a photo - they are L. capensis pakenhami in my opinion. Please let me know if I am correct or not.

And one more please - do you have experiences how to get the mites away from the geckos. I do not want to stress them with catching and putting mites down with tweezers.

Greetings,
Petr

Dateianhänge:
pakenhamipair.jpg
pakenhamipair.jpg [ 188.39 KiB | 7300-mal betrachtet ]

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Weird Lygodactylus picturatus
BeitragVerfasst: 09.11.2008, 20:31 

Hello Petr
You lies with your supposition properly that it to yourself around Lygodactylus capensis pakenhami acts. Unfortunately, most WF have mites with Lygodactylus. I treat the animals with Frontline for dogs and cats. In addition I catch the geckos from the terrarium and coat them with the means. The mites drop some days ago by itself.
Excuse my bad English! :oops:

Regards Thomas

Facebook: Reptiles Universe-Zittau

BeitragVerfasst: 09.11.2008, 22:15 

Hi Thomas,

thanks a lot for your answer. I thought that it is pakenhami but I needed someone more experienced in Lygodactylus breeding to confirm it ;) Hope now my new pair will be O.K. and brings eggs and juveniles...

I know Frontline, Czech breeders use it. I tried it to my L. picturatus pair and it was good. They lost majority of the mites and first had eggs. One my colleague adviced me that ReptiGlo UV lamp 5.0 in terrarium kills all mites. So I bought one and am trying it, but I do not believe in this method very much. Tomorrow I buy Frontline :)

It is a pity that no mombasicus was in the amounts of captured daygeckos...

Greetings,
Petr

BeitragVerfasst: 10.11.2008, 07:47 
Administrator

Hi Petr!
Congrats to your new species!
My experiences with Frontline aren´t that good. I poisoned some L. c. pakenhami.. You should mix it 50/50 with water so that it isn´t that much strong anymore.
One person wrote down in this forum that he used Bolfo-Terrarium-Strips against the mites on L. williamsi. He just puts it 1,5h into the tank (he left the geckos in there) and repeats it one more day and all mites are gone..
I prefer my method - catch the gecko and remove all the mites by bweezers ;)
Greetings
Dennis

BeitragVerfasst: 10.11.2008, 09:57 

Hello Dennis,

thanks a lot. I'll try to catch the pakenhamis, they seem to me to be not so quick and shy as picturatus or kimhowellis. Yesterday evening I observed the female and she has in my opinion eggs in her body. I hope it does not kill her, gravid transported females are much more vulnerable :(

Are there any problems with the breeding or is this species not difficult to breed?

Greetings,
Petr

BeitragVerfasst: 10.11.2008, 10:11 
Administrator

Hi Petr!
They breed like the other available Lygodactylus-species and you can also keep them identical to those. But you should give them food more often, about every second - at the most every third - day.
Greetings
Dennis

BeitragVerfasst: 10.11.2008, 13:21 

Excuse I gasify to mention, Dennis is right of course. :oops: The Fontline with water is better to be diluted because it then the small geckos better stood.

Greeting Thomas

Facebook: Reptiles Universe-Zittau

BeitragVerfasst: 10.11.2008, 13:55 

Hello to both, Dennis and Thomas!

I try from today to get mites out of my geckos... I think diluted Frontline should be O.K., if it will not work, I try tweezers.

One more info from the Czech Republic to you both - the serial about Lygodactylus in Czech started, two chapters are written and one will be published in January. I surely send you it all at the end of next year. In March I hope I come to Hamm so I hope we'll meet there.

Yours sincerely,
Petr

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde